What Are We Really Putting in Our Bodies?


Over the years I have thought of dozens of "Dream Jobs" (that is a whole other post), but here lately I have thought about going back to school to become a dietitian/nutritionist. This is probably not going to happen, but it doesn't hurt to dream:)

I think my latest job idea is a result of the research and soul searching that I have been doing over the past year and a half about what I put into and use on my body: food, medicine, beauty products, etc. I have also quit being a couch potato and focused on getting my body into shape. One of the main reasons that I have gone on this journey of health & fitness is so that one day when I have a family I will not only have set a good example, but hopefully be around for a long time to take care of them.

While battling my weight issue, one question has always stayed on my mind, How did I get to this point? I can truthfully say, it wasn't one thing or any one person that lead me to my heaviest and most unhealthy state, but I do know for a fact that lack of nutritional education was a big factor.

I am not placing the blame anywhere, but I definitely think there are two areas that could be of great influence in this area: Parents & Schools. If you think about it, these two aspects of a child's life is who and where they spend most of their time.

The entire reason for this post is because I came across a blog called Fed Up Lunch: The School Lunch Project. It is written by a teacher who has vowed to eat school lunch everyday in 2010. She is taking pictures of what she eats and then blogging about it. The purpose for this blog is to bring awareness about what our nation's children are eating in schools.

First, I want to say that I am aware that the more unhealthy foods are definitely the cheaper foods. When Mike & I were first married and didn't have a lot of money, we lived off of hot dogs and boxed meals (both of which are highly processed foods), but they were cheap and it left us money to pay our bills. I do understand that in order to provide for your family sometimes you have to do, what you have to do and that may mean skimping on fruits & veggies because there is only $200 to buy a month's worth of groceries.

Until I started doing my own research I had no idea what processed foods meant and exactly what our bodies had to go through to digest and break down those foods. I certainly had no idea about the nutritional information or the lack there of that they possessed. I only knew that veggies & fruits were things that our parents made us eat, therefore once I was on my own they were not going to be a necessity:) You see where that got me!

Now I realize just how important a balanced-healthy diet is. Not just for me, but especially for children. I remember in grade school and even college, my toughest classes seemed to be those right after lunch. I had a low attention span and I always wanted to doze off. Now I realize it was because I had a belly full of processed-carbs & sugary-junk. No wonder I couldn't pay attention!

I am so excited I came across this blog. I love this idea and I love this woman for giving up her healthy organic way of eating to be spokesperson for the children. Be sure and check it out. By the time this posts she will probably be on about day 50. She also has a links to several other websites and blogs about school nutrition.

Knowledge is Power!

4 comments:

lisa b said...

Hey Michelle! Have you heard of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution? It's right up this alley. The preview episode made me cry:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/136381/jamie-olivers-food-revolution-episode-101

I've struggled with food issues all my life, but my older son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes last August. Food doesn't CAUSE Type 1, but good nutrition is a huge component in managing life with Type 1, so this is the year that I've finally begun to really be serious about the health content of our family's food.

Anyway -- it's never too late to go back to school. If this is where your heart is, you can do it.

Life in the Fifties said...

Ditto on the "never too late" part. Why would you NOT go back to school if you have developed a genuine passion in a field that could be a career and would enhance your well being? And I laugh about you even thinking you're past your prime.

Unless, of course, your passion is an offshoot of wackiness.........

But you don't seem wacked out to me,

So apply the five year rule. Five years from now, what will be important?

Love you guys.

The Organ Family said...

Lisa- It is funny that you mentioned Food Revolution. I am in the process of writing a new blog entry on that show. I hope to have it posted by Thursday at the latest. Thanks for reading!

Deb Johnson said...

I think it is so neat that you were not aware of the Jamie Oliver's episode at the time you posted this...Lisa had posted it on fb and I was going to tell you about it.
You are becoming equipped and very capable of sharing so I agree, its not too late!!! I KNOW you can do it!!! I'll cheer you on!