Run Forrest, Run

This past Saturday I ran the Country Music 1/2 Marathon. I have been training for this race with Team Niki G which consists of my boot camp instructor & four fellow boot campers. This was my very first 1/2 marathon. I still can not believe that I was able to run 13.1 miles without stopping, walking, fainting, or dying!

For me, the Marathon weekend really started on Friday night when my Dad & Brother surprised me by showing up in Nashville. Unknown to me, Mike had tried really hard to get family members to come for the weekend to surprise me and show support, but for certain reasons no one was going to be able to make it. I am so thankful my Dad & Brother were able to make the trip!

We all know you can't run a long race without carb loading, so once the guys made it to town we headed to Molinari's Italian Restaurant for dinner. YUMMY!

Saturday morning came early. I was up by 4:00am to prepare for the race and meet the rest of the team. The boys left the house around 6:30am and headed downtown to cheer me on. They picked a place on the course where they could see me twice, once around mile 5 and then a second time when I ran back by around mile 8. After I passed them at mile 8 they got in the car and headed to the finish line and waited for me to make the final turn at mile 13.

The weather was near perfect. It was a little warmer than I would have preferred, but that is where the cups of cold water came in handy. Luckily the storms held off until after all of our group was finished running.


Team Niki G (minus one of our team members) before the race.


MILE 5

MILE 8


MILE 13


Approaching the finish line!

I was VERY pleased with my time. My official chip time was 2 hours 24 minutes, but my actual time was 2 hours 21 minutes. The 3 minute difference is because my running buddy needed to make a pit stop, so I paused my stopwatch and waited for her. I wasn't too off from my goal time of 2 hours 15 minutes.


Post Race Pictures:

Mike had to join in:)

During the race my family saw several people wearing "odd" things while running. There were people wearing tutus, 2 guys running in full business suits, and 2 guys running barefoot...OUCH! The following man wins the award for "The Most Disturbing Outfit". We will just call him "Bunny Boy".



This is what was waiting for me on the kitchen table when I got home from the race. My sweet husband had left me a card and a sticker to put on the back of the 4-Runner to remind me of this accomplishment. Since he didn't know which one I would choose he just bought them all...what a smart man!

Now that the soreness has wore off I am ready to do it again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great accomplishment! I am very proud of you, and if it weren't for the fear of possible knee replacements in the future I might join you next year. You certainly inspire me. My favorite picture is the second one of you. You look like you are an appendage coming out of the back of the man in front of you. Made me laugh!

Deb Johnson said...

Wow....I've always been proud of you, who would have guessed you would run in a 1/2 marathon! Way to go!
I considered sending your Dad with a full cut out of me. :) Really sorry that BJ and I had conflicts that week-end.
Tell Mike awesome job of getting that first photo! :)
Speaking of pic's you were looking pretty energized especially compared to all the others!

Love you!