Childbirth Classes

I knew I wanted Mike and I to take a few childbirth education classes before Baby Organ arrives. After doing some research we decided to take all our classes through The Women's Hospital at Centennial. I found a "First Time Parents" package of classes that included a 5 week labor & delivery series, a newborn care class, & an infant safety and CPR class.

This past Tuesday was our 5th and final labor & delivery class and we also attended our newborn care class on Thursday night. I am so thankful we took both of these classes. There were several things taught in the class that were common sense, but there was so much more to learn. Who knew having a baby could be so complicated? We had the same instructor for both classes and she was wonderful. I wish I could hire her to be my labor & delivery nurse, doula, & baby nanny:)

I learned 3 major lessons in the labor & delivery classes.:

1st: I learned just how important my birth partner/support person will be during L & D.

2nd: I realized that no matter what birth plan I choose or what plan I end up having to follow, there is no right or wrong way. It will be special no matter what.

3rd (most important): I learned that no matter how hard I try, there is no controlling the labor process. It is easier to go with the flow. Things may not go the way I want them to go or have planned them to go, and that is okay.

Overall, this class was great. Now I just hope we remember everything we learned once the panic sets in!

During the newborn care class we talked about the hospital protocol and procedures that will take place once the baby is born. This put me at ease knowing ahead of time what normally is done from the first moment after birth until we leave the hospital. We also learned how to bathe the baby, care for the umbilical cord, change a diaper, feed and burp & how to swaddle. I let Mike have all the hands on practice.

I couldn't end this post without sharing pictures from our labor & deliver class where Mike was very eager to try on the 30lb. "Empathy Belly"!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Mike. There just are not words. Too bad the empathy belly doesn't also give you heartburn, hemorrhoids, hip pain, stretch marks, and make you pee on yourself as well. Now that would be an EMPATHY belly!

Sherry said...

These are priceless. God bless!