Diapers

So I technically have 9 weeks left until this little one makes an appearance. I had no idea that for someone who doesn't work and has no children that my life could be so busy. I feel like this pregnancy has gone by really quick. The first trimester was a little slow and I didn't help much that I was sick all the time, but I think the new excitement is what got me through those first 3 months. The 2nd trimester flew by since it happened over the Thanksgiving & Christmas Holidays. Now I am in the 3rd trimester and my schedule is completely full with childbirth classes, doctors appointments, baby showers, and consignment sales:) I am finally realizing that these last 9 weeks will be gone before I know it so it is time to get on the ball and finalize some things.

First thing on my list is to make a decision about what type of diaper we would be using in our house. I have always wanted to use cloth diapers. I feel that it is better for the earth & also cheaper especially if you have more than one child. But here lately I have been wavering on if I can really commit to the whole cloth diaper thing. I have spent the last few days doing extensive research on this subject and have finally come up with a decision!

Thanks to many conversations with friends and family and the huge amount of information on the internet it has been decided that the Organ household will be using cloth diapers. I am really excited about this decision. Even though dealing with dirty diapers & extra laundry doesn't sound like fun, I think this will be a decision that fits who our family is and what type of family we strive to be.

I am being brave and going with a newer brand of cloth diapers, Kawaii Diapers. It is a brand that none of my friends use, but has gotten great reviews and (depending on which style of diaper) is about 1/2 to 1/3 of the price of most other cloth diapers (which is really exciting!).



I tried to be as thorough as possible in doing the financial research for cloth vs. disposable and what I found (on the internet) is that most families spend about $40/month on disposable diapers. That is roughly $500/year. For the Kawaii diapers I will be spending a little less than $300 for everything I need, and that is if I buy the most expensive Kawaii diapers.

I know that is a lot of numbers, but it boils down to this. Lets say (for numbers sake) it typically takes a child 3 years to potty train:

Disposable diapers for 3 years: $1500
Kawaii Cloth diapers for 3 years: $300

And the best part about all this is that when we have our second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, etc. child we hypothetically won't have to spend another penny.

I know I haven't figured in electricity & water costs for washing and caring for the cloth diapers. That information was hard to come by, so to be fair cloth diapering will cost us a little more than $300 total. But I still think the savings in the long run is worth it.

I have nothing against disposable diapers, over the last month or two I honestly thought I didn't want to mess with cloth and I would be using disposable diapers, but after the last couple days I have finally made up my mind and I just hope I don't regret it after a week of cloth diapering:)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you have six children, that's five more baby showers I get to plan for you. Bring it on!