Food for Thought


Here is something I bet most people don't know about me...I am a vegetarian!

I want everyone to know that this is not going to be some "come jump on the band wagon" type entry. This is a personal decision that I have made. Mike is still eating meat, and I don't think any less of him or anyone else that does. I decided a few weeks ago that I would try to make a life change and become a vegetarian. Before starting this journey I wanted to make sure it was something that was right for me and I also wanted to make sure it was something that I did correctly and wholeheartedly. So this entry has a two fold reason. One is to explain myself and beliefs, and two is to help give any guidance or information for others that think this is a way of life they would like to try.

Here are the two reasons why I have decided to change what I eat...

Reason #1: Mike and I have been transitioning to all organic products. It has been a slow transition and we still have a lot to go. But the one item that Mike and I were at a standstill on purchasing was organic meat. He said it was too expensive and I thought that the health benefits outweighed the cost. So I bought a vegetarian cookbook and figured I would cook primarily vegetarian so we could buy/eat all organic.

Reason #2: Mike and I have been checking out documentaries from the library. They have a great selection and the best part is that they are FREE! A few days after I bought the vegetarian cookbook, one of the documentaries that I brought home was called "I Am Animal: The Story of Ingrid Newkirk and PETA". I am an avid animal lover and I knew of PETA, but I didn't really know what PETA was. So I thought I would watch this documentary to expand my knowledge on animal rights. As soon as I brought it home Mike said he was not going to watch it. So I watched it by myself. I am glad I watched it, but at the same time I wish that I hadn't. It was very disturbing, but also very eye opening.


When I think of animal rights I think of puppy mills or household pets that are being starved or mistreated. Before this documentary I have never thought of the chickens, turkeys, pigs, & cows that we all eat everyday. I have never thought about how they are raised, treated, & killed. This documentary didn't go into too much detail about the slaughter houses of farm animals (thank the Lord!), but it did show just enough clips that I know I don't agree with it. This film also made me realize that I don't want to do anymore homework or research on the cruelty treatment of animals because what little they showed was so horrifying to me. So after watching this documentary I had made a decision to try out the whole vegetarian thing.

So, for a month now I have been a successful vegetarian. Luckily Mike and I are not picky eaters and we are willing to try everything (that includes tofu and lentils- which are really yummy:). I am really impressed with all the vegetarian recipes that are floating around on the Internet. There is a ton of variety and they are all really flavorful. I have found some really great vegetarian entrees that I will share in later posts.

So far my experience has been a positive one. I haven't really been able to find any cons to being a vegetarian. The best tip I can give is to make sure you plan your meals ahead. That way when you go grocery shopping you will be able to buy everything you need for the week. I was used to being able to pull chicken or turkey from the freezer if I was in a pinch. Now I've learned to be a little more creative, especially when it comes to using leftover produce before it goes bad.

Eating out at restaurants hasn't been difficult at all. There is normally plenty of items to choose from on most menus. If a restaurant doesn't offer a vegetarian entree, then I usually eat salads, soups and sides such as sweet potatoes, baked potatoes, and steamed veggies.
I am starting my fifth week of being a vegetarian and I feel great! I sit here now and think "4 weeks without any meat, wow!" I am now trying to educate myself on being a healthy vegetarian by researching on the Internet and reading a ton of books. So if anyone has any pointers I would love to hear them.

1 comments:

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

interesting! looking forward to your posts. you might like vegcooking.com. it's vegetarian/vegan. i know you aren't vegan, but you might like it. as i'm sure you know, there are tons of good recipes on the 'net!