Public Service Announcement

Attention All Ladies...This is my one public service announcement for the year:

Don't let this happen to you!

This was what my vehicle looked like at 6:15 am Thursday morning! After completing my hour boot camp session I walked up to the 4-Runner (which was parked at the Brenwood Public Library) and found the passenger side window busted out. I was the victim of a "smash & grab". They took my entire purse. Which happened to be my favorite purse and that favorite purse included all my make-up, my favorite sunglasses, my calendar, my wallet and my cell phone. There was a ton of other items in the purse, but the few that I named are the items I am most angry about loosing.

Unfortunately, I wasn't the only victim. Another fellow boot campers car was broken into also. After finding our vehicles in this condition we immediately called the police. I have to give a big thanks to the Brentwood Police Department. They have been great in handling this situation. They were very friendly and informative on the scene and have actually been in contact with us over the last few days.

Apparently the guys who did this are pretty stupid criminals, but aren't most? Not only were they spotted in the parking lot by two other runners, who gave a description of the perps and their car to the police. They also used my credit/debit cards and two gas stations that have video surveillance. Mike talked to a lieutenant Friday that said they actually have a suspect. Hopefully the information we have given them will help them build a solid case against these men. So we now just wait and see what happens.

I say all this to remind everyone to only keep essentials in your purse. Keep only the credit cards you use in your wallet. If you don't normally write checks, don't keep your check book in your purse. DO NOT keep your social security card, birth certificate, or other important documents in your purse. Also, make a copy of all cards (front & back) and information you keep in your purse/wallet so in the case that this happens all you have to do is pull out the photocopy and start calling all the numbers that are on the back of the cards. This way you will know for sure that you haven't forgotten to cancel anything. Most of this is common sense, but I know several people that literally "live" out of their purse.

Luckily, the thieves only got away with $50 in cash. We quickly cancelled the credit/debit cards, but not before they were used . What they did charge on the cards will be disputed and we will not be held responsible. This situation could have definitely been a lot worse. But I guess the lesson I learned is don't leave your purse in your car, even if you think it is "hidden", even if you think it is safe in Brentwood, TN. Mayberry just doesn't exist anymore:)

0 comments: